Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Journal #7 My Personal Learning Network

ISTE NETS and Performance Indicators for Teachers (NETS-T): (5 A & D  )

I created a Personal Learning Network (PLN) using Diigo (a social bookmarking tool), Tweeter (a real-time communication tool), and a Ning Site. 

A Personal Learning Network (PLN) is a support system of colleagues and mentors in which collaboration and communication occurs in a virtual setting through the use of a plethora of social networking tools and resources.        The configuration and the size of a PLN varies and it ultimately depends on the needs, the time, and the commitment of the individual in order to develop and cultivate a network of professional and personal relationships.  Creating and participating in Personal Learning Network serves two fundamental purposes: (1) to facilitate the exchange and flow of information that is readily accessible whenever, wherever; and (2) to provide independent professional development, that is, the individual is responsible for his or her own professional advancement. Whereas in the past the search for information took more time and effort, a PLN brings the information to you; all you have to do is filter it and organize it depending on your interests. My PLN is in its initial stages but I can already notice the necessity to continue developing it as a prospect teacher. My PLN will enable me to constantly update my pedagogical skills and broaden and deepen my content knowledge. The three main social networking tools that I utilize are Twitter, Diigo, and Classroom 2.0.

     Previous to this class, my view towards Twitter was a negative one. I had the impression that it was mainly utilized by people who did not have anything to do except follow their favorite celebrities and tweet about pointless matters, which is true to some extent. However, I have learned about the productive side of Twitter and how helpful and necessary of a social networking tool it is. So, what is Twitter? In a way, Twitter is a synthesis of the many communication tools out there but the main differences are that the text-based posts, or tweets, are restricted to 140 characters or less and the exchange and flow of information occurs in real time. Tweets, by default, are accessible to the entire Twitter community and members or followers can reply or retweet them (if the post is worth sharing to other followers, be it because the information is interesting or important). The flow of information is vertiginous and at times it is overwhelming trying to catch up with the continuous stream of tweets, but the information can always be captured and accessed at a later time. Chats are created depending on interests or subject matters by placing the hashtag  (#) in front of the topic. Therefore, members are able to always follow people from all over the world with common interests.
      As a teacher, developing and cultivating professional relationships are at the core of Twitter and the first step is to follow people, which is the virtual way of shaking hands and introducing yourself. That is why it was important to fill out my profile in which I state my interests and my motives. Because I am fourth grade after school teacher, I decided to follow fourth grade teachers who will provide me with tons of information and resources that will help me when I go back to work at the elementary school. The five people that I am following are: plnaugle (Paula Naugle), who teaches math and social studies and has 35 years of experience; jmplus2 (Jeanne McQueen), from Colorado and who has been teaching/learning over 15 years; dreambition (Brad Wilson), from Michigan and who is technologically savvy and extremely well-rounded (teacher, staff trainer, presenter, consultant); principalberry (Michael Berry), an elementary school principal from Vermont; and whiteheadsclass (Clara Whitehead), another  fun and well-rounded teacher from Alabama.  The teachers that I am following are from different states in the U.S. because it is important learn about other perspective that are not confined to my own geographical region.
      I participated in #4thchat on Monday, August 1 at 7 PM. The chat interested me because I am an after school fourth grade teacher. The topic of the night was "What's the best way to arrange your classroom and furniture to maximize learning?" which was a great way to expose me to the different ways of designing the classroom and utilizing space since I do have my own classroom. Various and diverse ideas were brought up, ranging from pets and aquariums to lighting to a classroom makeover by HGTV. Also a link to a wiki created to gather and share classroom design ideas was retweeted as well as a link to an article with the title "Rethinking my classroom space".  What I liked most about the chat was the level of excitement in the participants and the willingness to share their ideas. It is clear that they are committed teachers who champion collaboration and communication in order to make learning in the classroom more enjoyable for the students. It was a very neat experience that gave me a small taste of the universe of Twitter. Twitter will be the backbone of my PLN.

     Diigo is the second component of my PLN. It is a social bookmarking tool that not only enables me to classify and organize websites and information that I want to keep and visit  later on, but it also enables me to share my information with the Diigo community. Diigo has features that facilitate the search and access to my saved information, such as highlighting, taking notes (annotating), and the tag system which files websites and information according to the subject or topic. Similarly to Twitter, you can also follow people with similar interests and you can access their bookmarking library. Most of the people I am following on Diigo are pertinent to my subject matter (Spanish) and they will be extremely helpful later as a Spanish Teacher.  I am following: Abarcajuanita, who has a lot of info and resources on ELL; Alexa Flores-Hull, who is a Spanish Teacher; Jeff Ruth, who specializes in Spanish-Linguistics;Sarah Bolanos, another Spanish teacher who teaches in Maine and who likes integrating technology in her lessons; and the group World Language Teachers, which is also a great source of ideas and activities. I am also following other people who provide a wealth of educational resources and information. They are: Kathy Shrock, who is an encyclopedia of everything related to education; and George Curos, whose public library is filled with bookmarks to blogs and newspaper articles that deal with different issues in education.

     My last social networking tool is Classroom 2.0, a Ning Site. Classroom 2.0 is free, community-supported, collaborative digital discussion forum that focuses on Web 2.0 and Social Media in Education. It is specially designed for beginners, such as myself, in order to feel comfortable starting to participate in the digital dialogue. Before enjoying all the benefits of the site, you have to sign up and get approved. Classroom 2.0 provides forums, chats, blogs, videos, photos, Live shows, recordings and more which cover different aspects of education. I watched a video clip titled "Learning Math (funny video)". It is in black and white (takes place in the 50's) and it is about a businessman trying to explain to a housewife and an older man that 25 divided by 5 is 5 because 5 times 5 is equal to 25. The housewife and the older man refuse the explanation and they use a different method to solve the problem, which comically, although incorrect, works out.  The video underlines the frustration that can go into teaching something while at the same time how it is relieved by the innocence and cleverness of students. There are tons of video that I will continue to watch.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment